Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MiFi 500 LTE Coming to FreedomPop?
08-02-2013, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 12:48 AM by Prepaid.)
MiFi 500 LTE Coming to FreedomPop?
FreedomPop has said LTE devices are coming soon. The MiFi 500 LTE by Novatel Wireless looks like it might be a good fit.

The device can handle up to 10 devices connected to it at the same time for Internet access. It has a 1800 mAh battery which should give up to 10 hours of service, according to the description on Sprint's website. Like the Freedom Spot Overdrive Pro, there is a display on the front of this device.

The "Regular Price" for this device, without a contract, is $249.99. We can assume that FreedomPop will get the device much cheaper, and offer it at a reasonable price. They might even offer this device as Refurbished, since they have done that with other devices they sell.

Update (8/7/2013): This device is now available on FreedomPop, with the name Freedom Spot MiFi 5580 LTE. FreedomPop is offering the device for $149, which is more than $100 less than what Sprint is charging for the same device.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2013, 11:33 AM
RE: MiFi 500 LTE Coming to FreedomPop?
Have any of the devices been shipped?

I ordered the freedompop Spot 5580 lte device back on august 6 2013 when it first came out and they charged my credit card. It will soon be October and I still have not received it. Every time I contract them, they state it will be shipped "soon" or in "5 to 7 days", a month latter they said "3 to 5 days". They also said before Labor Day which has come and gone.
09-28-2013, 11:23 AM
(09-26-2013 11:33 AM)MikeySoft Wrote:  Have any of the devices been shipped?

I ordered the freedompop Spot 5580 lte device back on august 6 2013 when it first came out and they charged my credit card. It will soon be October and I still have not received it. Every time I contract them, they state it will be shipped "soon" or in "5 to 7 days", a month latter they said "3 to 5 days". They also said before Labor Day which has come and gone.

Welcome to Free Phone Service Forum!

You should receive an email with a tracking number when the device is shipped. If you haven't received one, it probably hasn't been shipped yet.

Have you tried contacting FreedomPop via Facebook and Twitter? They respond there and should be able to assist you if the assistance via email hasn't satisfied you.

Please come back and let us know if you find out more information.

The Freedom Spot MiFi 5580 LTE is a great choice. That device should support the network for many years. I think you will enjoy the device when you receive it.
10-17-2013, 06:40 PM
It finally arrived. Smile It seems to work well. I posted an unboxing / demo video at http://www.youtube.com/user/MikesHDVideos
10-21-2013, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 09:01 PM by Prepaid.)
(10-17-2013 06:40 PM)MikeySoft Wrote:  It finally arrived. Smile It seems to work well. I posted an unboxing / demo video at http://www.youtube.com/user/MikesHDVideos

That's great!

How are the data speeds in your area?
10-21-2013, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 11:20 PM by MikeySoft.)
I pointed that out in my video in the link in my above reply. Down load speed is between 5 and 11 Mbps. It doesn't seem to depend on the number of bars I get. I get 1 bar at my home, I get 4 or 5 bars at other places.
10-22-2013, 07:04 PM
(10-21-2013 11:19 PM)MikeySoft Wrote:  I pointed that out in my video in the link in my above reply. Down load speed is between 5 and 11 Mbps. It doesn't seem to depend on the number of bars I get. I get 1 bar at my home, I get 4 or 5 bars at other places.

That's decent.

Enjoy your new device! Smile
11-06-2013, 05:15 PM
As a followup, I like to say I'm very happy with the device. It would be nice if it was a little smaller. I get very good coverage and speed in my area. As I said before, the signal strength does not seem to affect the download speed. This is counter intuitive but maybe how LTE works?

I'm a light user, lot of free WiFi in by area but the device is a solid backup when I can't get WiFi.

My only complaints are Freedompop charged my credit card when I placed the order and took over 2 months to ship. I hope they change their policy and only charge credit cards at time of shipping like other companies do. They should not say "soon" when I asked several times when i will get it.
11-24-2013, 06:02 PM
(11-06-2013 05:15 PM)MikeySoft Wrote:  As a followup, I like to say I'm very happy with the device. It would be nice if it was a little smaller. I get very good coverage and speed in my area. As I said before, the signal strength does not seem to affect the download speed. This is counter intuitive but maybe how LTE works?

I'm a light user, lot of free WiFi in by area but the device is a solid backup when I can't get WiFi.

My only complaints are Freedompop charged my credit card when I placed the order and took over 2 months to ship. I hope they change their policy and only charge credit cards at time of shipping like other companies do. They should not say "soon" when I asked several times when i will get it.

I'm glad you are happy with your device!

I think you're right, it would make sense to charge credit cards when the device ships. Maybe they need to make sure the funds are available for some reason while they are getting the device ready to ship.

They seem to be making improvements quickly, especially with the launch of Bring Your Own Device with their free cell phone service. If they can, they will most likely make changes like other companies have and start charging for the device when it ships.
02-14-2014, 09:37 PM
(11-06-2013 05:15 PM)MikeySoft Wrote:  As a followup, I like to say I'm very happy with the device. It would be nice if it was a little smaller. I get very good coverage and speed in my area. As I said before, the signal strength does not seem to affect the download speed. This is counter intuitive but maybe how LTE works?

It has been a few months since your last update. Are you still happy with the device?